Re: Are these genuine examples of Granville Sharp's rule?

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 12:04:38 EST

Ruben Gomez wrote[snipped]:

> So my question has to do with six of those verses. I omit here the
> actual transliterated text for brevity's sake, but the TSKS (article-
> substantive- kai-substantive) construction is present in all of them.
>
> a) Matthew 23:37 and Luke 13:34 refer to Jerusalem.
> b) Ephesians 4:16 and Colossians 2:19 refer to the body (i.e., the
> church).
> c) Hebrews 8:13 is talking about the new covenant.
> d) James 3:6 speaks about the tongue.

First of all, let me say that I do not believe the presence of
personification to be a grammatical issue; thus, it does not affect the
requirements of GS1. Having said that, I think that Matt 23:37 and Luke
13:34 both are certainly GS1 constructions.

In b), I don't believe either passage is a GS1, but for different
reasons in each instance. Eph 4:16 doesn't have any art-subst-KAI-subst
construction at all, as far as I can see. The closest I find there, is
the occurrence of two participles in concord modifying TO SWMA; however,
both of the participles are anarthrous adverbials. Col 2:19 has a
feminine and a masculine substantive (gender-mixing is not allowed), and
these substantives are both plural (which is also not allowed under
GS1). However, as I have argued, earlier this year, I think that Sharp
was wrong in attempting to limit the general application of shared
referent to singular and same-gender constructions.

Hebrews 8:13 fits the requirements.

James 3:6 is prime example of the rule, having 3 participles depending
on the one article. They are each NFS, having reference to hH GLWSSA.

BTW, Ruben, you might check the January 2000 archives for some
discussion of Granville Sharp. Quotations of Sharp in grammars are not
necessarily to be trusted; besides, you understand the rule better, if
you read all of Sharp's argument for yourself.

--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible