Re: Col 3:5 Sexual Greed

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 22:39:35 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>>...KAI THN PLEONEXIAN hHTIS ESTIN EIDWLOLATRIA (Col 3:5b)

>A significant number of commentators

Joseph, could you list some of these? Sometimes we can tell the quality of a
claim by who is making it.

point out that PLEONEXIAN has sexual
>overtones to it. BGAD 667d, says "greediness, insatiableness, avarice,
>covetousness, lit. a desire to have more." doesn't seem to agree.
>
>1. Does PLEONEXIAN have this in its range of meanings? BGAD doesn't
>specifically point out a sexual nuance.

Nor do Louw & Nida. My Kittel is in storage right now so I can't check it.

>2. Is the sexual understanding to be taken from its inclusion on the vice
>list? How does one justify this?

I don't know the answer, unless perhaps those who feel there is such
a nuance hark back to the O.T. commandment that tells what we are not to
covet. Perhaps they have access to some extrabiblical material that suggests
the sexual nuance. I don't see it, however, in any of the N.T. uses of
PLEONEXIAN.

Wayne

---
Wayne Leman