Re: A question from a novice!

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 06:33:13 EST

At 05:23 AM 3/20/00 +0000, you wrote:
 the professor once told
>to the class (I forgot the occasion) that AGAPAW was frequently used
> for love between men and women but Christians made it a holy word.
>It is so interesting that that legacy still continues.
>
>Moon

several respondents have replied to this thread with statements like "agapaw
describes love between men and women" and the like- without any interest in
the context either historically or literarily. it seems that most listers
operate on the presumption of the etymological fallacy. and they also seem
to operate on the assumption that words remains completely static in usage,
even over decades and centuries!!!! fascinating, that after decades of
research which has shown the dangers of such an approach, that folk still
use it.

i repeat, words have usage, not meaning. meaning is supplied by context.
in the NT, "agapaw" ALWAYS contextually, literarily, and historically
denotes a love which requires nothing in return- notwithstanding the false
example of demas who is demonstrated to be depraved BECAUSE he "LOVES" the
world!!!

Best, and nice to see some activity and discussion on the list after a
rather lenghty period of relative peace. *chuckle*

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest