Re: A Little TC Help Needed

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 22:37:06 EST

Theodore H. Mann wrote;
>>As I have been trying to teach myself NT Greek, I am also attempting to
>>learn a little about textual criticism. Question: Why does UBS3 only
>>give TOU QEOU, in 1 Cor. 2:14, a "C" rating? I would think that any
>>text that can be found in p46, plus such a long list of witnesses,
>>would rate higher than that.

Harold has suggested the shorter reading argument might have influenced the
editors of UBS3. I would also suggest the omission of a divine name was
rare. Except for an accident, it is difficult to explain the omission of
the name of God in any text.

>THM: << Would anyone care to suggest some really good beginning texts for
>me to read? >>
Steven Craig Miller wrote;
>(a) "The Text of the New Testament" by Kurt Aland and Barbara Aland (2nd
>edition; Eerdmans, 1989);
>(b) "The Text of the New Testament" by Bruce M. Metzger (3rd edition;
>Oxford UP, 1992); and
>(c) "An Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism" by Leon Vaganay
>and Christian-Bernard Amphoux (Cambridge UP, 1991).

The short introduction also by Greenlee is easy to understand and I think
very helpful in the beginning of the study of the text.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net