Jude 7 ("eternal fire")

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 17:26:37 EST

In the NIV, the portion about Sodom and Gomorrah says:

«In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave
themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an
example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.»

The Greek has:

«hWS SODOMA KAI GOMORRA KAI hAI PERI AUTAS POLEIS TON hOMOION TROPON
TOUTOIS EKPORNEUSASAI KAI APELQOUSAI OPISW SARKOS hETERAS, PROKEINTAI
DEIGMA PUROS AIWNIOU DIKHN hUPECOUSAI.»

Do you think it was a purposeful mistranslation for them to translate it
like this? They make it sound as though the Greek does not mean that Sodom
and Gomorrah suffered "eternal fire." But the Greek has "these" in the
masculine plural (referring to false teachers) and "undergoing judgment of
eternal fire" in the feminine plural (referring to hAI POLEIS, "the
cities"). In other words, this verse says that Sodom and Gomorrah and the
surrounding cities underwent the judgment of eternal fire and serve as an
example. Would you agree that the NIV is messed?

One other thing: PROKEINTAI KEIGMA PUROS AIWNIOU DIKHN hUPECOUSAI. "They
serve an example of eternal fire, by undergoing a punishment" or "They
serve an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire." I think the
second is more correct. What do you?

Please carbon copy responses to me, as I do not get online as much
recently. I don't have time right now. Thanks.

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College
parousia_occ@yahoo.com