Re: Did I say that? What I meant was ...

From: John Stendahl (stendahl@bc.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 17:13:05 EST

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:12:14 -0600 winberyc@speedgate.net
(Carlton Winbery) wrote:

>Reminds me of a saying I think was attributed to Krister
>Stendahl (I'll bet
>Edward knows). He said, "This is a place of much learning,
>much learning!
>The freshmen bring so much with them and the seniors take
>so little away,
>it just keeps accumulating."

It seemed to me that the wit here might easily have been my
father's but the thought was probably not. He is of course
an eminence from whom has come much that is memorable but to
whom far more has been attributed. Sure enough, when I
checked this out with him he thought the saying was very
funny indeed but did not agree with it. He says he never
said it, and in fact I can't remember him ever
misrepresenting his own convictions for the sake of a laugh.
It must have been somebody else, known or unknown.

John Stendahl
Newton, Mass.