Re: Did I say that? What I meant was ...

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 21:15:57 EST

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:12:14 -0600 winberyc@speedgate.net
>(Carlton Winbery) wrote:

>>Reminds me of a saying I think was attributed to Krister
>>Stendahl (I'll bet
>>Edward knows). He said, "This is a place of much learning,
>>much learning!
>>The freshmen bring so much with them and the seniors take
>>so little away,
>>it just keeps accumulating."
>
>It seemed to me that the wit here might easily have been my
>father's but the thought was probably not. He is of course
>an eminence from whom has come much that is memorable but to
>whom far more has been attributed. Sure enough, when I
>checked this out with him he thought the saying was very
>funny indeed but did not agree with it. He says he never
>said it, and in fact I can't remember him ever
>misrepresenting his own convictions for the sake of a laugh.
>It must have been somebody else, known or unknown.

Thanks for your note. I have about everything your father published. I
stand in awe of his achievements and have enjoyed his many papers at SBL
meeting, most of all the interview where we indeed saw his good wit.

I heard the quote in a seminar at SBL in Atlanta in the early seventies. It
may have been attributed to Dean Collin Williams, but I am still not sure.

Glad to hear about your father. Hope he is well.

Carlton Winbery