Re: What is "KURIAKOS"?

From: WFWarren@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 15:19:53 EST

In a message dated 3/31/00 10:22:24 AM, cms@dragon.com writes:

>I had a friend who was Dutch who once told me that
>Kuriakos means "Sunday" in Dutch, presumably meaning "the Lord's Day."
>

>Cindy Smith

I haven't followed this discussion closely, so this may have already been
mentioned. But in the lectionary equipment in the Greek NT manuscript
tradition, KURIAKOS is used to indicate Sunday (= the Lord's Day), as in
designating a reading as a Sunday reading. At least in the Christian context
of scribes and churches, the Greek word KURIAKOS took on a unique meaning as
designating a specific day of the week.

paz,

Bill Warren