Re: Junia an Apostle or Junia considered prominent by the Apostles?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 11:27:53 EST

At 11:13 AM -0500 3/31/00, Cindy Smith wrote:
>Someone on another mailing list told me that in Romans 16:7 it doesn't
>matter whether Junia is a man's name or a woman's name because the
>Greek means that Andronicus and Junia are considered prominent by the
>Apostles instead of meaning that Andronicus and Junias are prominent
>among the Apostles. In other words, Junia is either a prominent
>apostle or she is considered prominent by the apostles. How to
>translate en tois apostolois?

The text: ASPASASQE ANDRONIKON KAI IOUNIAN TOUS SUGGENEIS MOU KAI
SUNAICMALWTOUS MOU, hOITINES EISIN EPISHMOI EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS, hOI KAI PRO
EMOU GEGONAN EN CRISTWi.

For my part, I can only say that readers of this text who come to it
already convinced that a woman could not have been an APOSTOLOS will find a
way to make EPISHMOI EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS function as the grammatical
equivalent of TIMHQEISAI hUPO TWN APOSTOLWN, while readers who are
open-minded to the possibility that a woman MAY have been an APOSTOLOS will
find it most natural to understand the phrase EPISHMOI EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS
as "distinguished among the apostles." I have more sympathy (just a little
bit--not very much) for those who still want to believe that IOUNIAN is
masculine than for those who want to understand EPISHMOS EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS
to mean "CONSIDERED prominent BY the apostles."

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu