Re: 1Thes 4:4 Can SKEUOS be used as a euphemism for male genitalia?

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 08:22:38 EST

<x-flowed>To: Jay Adkins,

<< I have read Louw & Nida, but found no reference to SKEUOS as a euphemism
for male genitalia. >>

There are probably few works in any language which cannot be used as a
euphemism for sex or genitalia or such with a little imagination, at the
very least there is a plethora of words which can.

<< If male genitalia is preferred, how would it then be translated? Is this
why 'vessel' is used? That would seem an odd euphemism to me. >>

The basic meaning of SKEUOS in the LSJM is "vessel or implement of any
kind." So one might try:

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from
prostitution; that each of you know how to control your own equipment in
holiness and honor, not with lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not
know God" (1 Thess 4:3-5).

<< Even accepting that it could be used in this manner, does it fit the
context in 1 Thes 4:4? >>

It most certainly fits the context of 1 Thess 4:3-5.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com