Re: hOUTWS Jn3.16 "In this way"

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 17:53:36 EST

Joseph A. Weaks <jweaks@delta.is.tcu.edu> said:
> My emphasis (not so much an "insistence") is not merely academic.
> The majority of church members ONLY hear John 3:16 taken out of
> context. I'd say that 90% of the folks in the 4 churches I've served
> have ONLY understood the hWSTE as a Result Clause of the intensive
> extent of hOUTWS (ie. God sending God's son is a result of how much
> God loved us). The context of the analogy with Moses does make clear
> that there is at least some emphasis on a correlative "in this way"
> (even if only 60%/40%). So, as an interpreter, and as their pastor,
> it is my vocation to give voice to this forgotten aspect.

I am reading "Linguistics and New Testament Interpretation: Essays on
Discourse Analysis" edited by David A. Black. To illustrate "Reading a text
as discourse", J. P. Louw uses John 3:1-21. He says verses 16-18 "(...marked
by three syntactic units...) contains in itself a comment on the hINA clause
in the [previous syntactic unit], each [of the three] taking the argument a
step further" (page 24).

However, in the graphic he presents, which captures his discourse analysis of
the text, he boxes verses 14-15 as a single syntactic unit. What struck me
when looking at the graphic was that maybe 'hOUTWS--the first word in the next
box--was referring back to this syntactic unit. That is, the analogy between
Moses and the Son of Man. In other words, God's love of the world is 'in the
same way as' this analogy. 'hOUTWS' is not forward looking, but backward
looking; it looks back to 'the lifting up'.

Is this (no pun intended) grammatically allowable?

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us