Re: hOUTWS Jn3.16 "In this way"

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 14:04:45 EDT

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset="iso-8859-1"><!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
 --></style><title>Re: hOUTWS Jn3.16 &quot;In this
constitutes a<br>
&gt;standard &quot;consecutive&quot; pattern having an emphatic
adverb in an initial<br>
&gt;clause followed by hWSTE with an infinitive or an indicative verb
in a<br>
&gt;result clause.ª<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Are there any other instances that you can give of this kind of
use.&nbsp; That</div>
one with hOUTWS or some other qualitative or quantitative adverbial
expression (e.g. TOSOUTOS/H/O or TOIOUTOS/H/O either modifying the
verb or an adjective or another verb in the main clause and a hWSTE
introducing either a finite verb clause (for an ACTUAL result) or an
infinitive (for a NATURAL or PROBABLE result). There are also some
less frequent variants to this pattern. Cf. Smyth's grammar,
##2273-2278.<br>
(http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/tex
(
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lex
In the GNT the pattern is less consistent; there may be hWSTE as in
John 3:16 or in Acts 14:1 (EGENETO DE IN IKONIWi KATA TO AUTO
EISELQEIN AUTOUS EIS THN SUNAGWGHN TWN IOUDAIWN KAI LALHSAI h O U T W
S&nbsp; h W S T E PISTEUSAI IOUDAIWN TE KAI hELLHNWN POLU
PLHQOS.&nbsp; = "And it happened in Iconium at the same time that
they entered into the synagogue of the Jews and spoke such that a
sizable throng of both Jews and Greeks came to faith.") or Matthew
15:33 (KAI LEGOUSIN AUTWi hOI MAQHTAI: POQEN hHMIN EN ERHMIAi
ARTOI&nbsp; T O S O U T O I&nbsp; h W S T E&nbsp; CORTASAI OCLON
TOSOUTON. = "And his disciples say to him, 'Where do we have in
the wilderness loaves sufficient to feed a crowd this
large?'")<br>
or there may be a hOPWS clause, as in Matthew 5:16 (h O U T W S&nbsp;
LAMYATW TO FWS hUMWN EMPROSQEN TWN ANQRWPWN, h O P W S IDWSIN hUMWN
TA KALA ERGA KAI DOXASWSIN TON PATERA hUMWN TON EN TOIS
OURANOIS,&nbsp; = "Let your light so shine before people that they
see your good works and glorify your father in heaven.")<br>
or there may be a relative clause functioning to indicate the result,
as in 1 Cor 6:5&nbsp; (h O U T W S&nbsp; OUK ENI EN hUMIN OUDEIS S O
F O S,&nbsp; h O S DUNHSETAI DIAKRINAI ANA MESON TOU ADELFOU AUTOU? =
"Is there nobody so wise amongst you that he won't be able to
judge a matter?")</font><br>

Carl W. Conrad<br>
Department of Classics/Washington University<br>
One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018<br>
Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649<br>
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu <br>
WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/>
</x-html>