Re: Thinking Like a Scribe Mk 6:46

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 02:08:22 EDT

> I was reading along in Mk 6 and when I came to the end of 6:45 and read:
>
> hEWS AUTOS APOLUEI TON OXLON
>
> For some reason it just popped into my head that APOLUEI should be a
> subjunctive here. After mulling it over for 90 seconds I grabbed Ruben
> Swanson' s Mark and looked up this passage and saw a whole list of
> manuscripts which read APOLUSHi.
>
> My question is an elementary one. What was it in this text that made me
> think subjunctive automatically when I read it?
>
> --
> Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
> Three Tree Point
> P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062

With the word hEWS, you would probably expect such, "until he should dismiss the crowd." It probably is in the idea that hEWS is not to be "until," but maybe something like "while" (cf. RSV). The UBS _Greek-English Dictionary of the New Testament_ gives "while" as its meaning if it is used with the present indicative. That is the meaning here.

Why your mind immediately went to subjunctive is another matter. That is where the variant reading came from. After prepositions such as hEWS, we would expect subjunctive. Couple that with the fact that the [aorist] subjunctive and present indicative sound so much alike with this word (APOLUEI vs. APOLUSHi) and it becomes _quite_ reasonable that your mind would make the shift. Furthermore, the shift would not have much difference in our understanding of it. But it is a slight one: "Jesus made them go to the other side, to Bethsaida, until he dismissed the crowd" (stressing the idea that he sent them away to join them after having dismissed the crowd) OR "Jesus made them go to the other side, to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd" (he did both at the same time and while they were on their way he was dismissing the crowd).

Hope this helps. God bless!!

Jason Hare
parousia_occ@yahoo.com