Re: Thinking Like a Scribe Mk 6:46

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 14:25:06 EDT

on 04/04/00 9:36 PM, Daniel L Christiansen wrote:

> clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>>
>> I was reading along in Mk 6 and when I came to the end of 6:45 and read:
>>
>> hEWS AUTOS APOLUEI TON OXLON
>>
>> For some reason it just popped into my head that APOLUEI should be a
>> subjunctive here. After mulling it over for 90 seconds I grabbed Ruben
>> Swanson' s Mark and looked up this passage and saw a whole list of
>> manuscripts which read APOLUSHi.
>>
>> My question is an elementary one. What was it in this text that made me
>> think subjunctive automatically when I read it?
>
> The cause is not in THIS text, but in another like it: you have read
> Matt 14:22.

Daniel,

I wish my memory was that good :-))))

I think that Jason has come very close to the right answer. I was thinking
that Jesus was sending them ahead UNTIL he released the multitude. I was
thinking of hEWS AUTOS APOLUEI TON OXLON as a "Projection" or a condition
that had to be met before he would join them again. This might require
hEWS AN + subjunctive, however BDF # 383.2 says that AN is sometimes
omitted. I am real fuzzy about this which is why I asked the question.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point