Re: te^n arche^n in John 8:25

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 06:22:15 EDT

<x-charset UTF-8>In a message dated 4/4/2000 7:42:25 PM Central Standard Time, Bill@sjd.org
writes:

<< I am hestitant to raise this question fearing it might have already been
 well-discussed in the past. But I could find no evidence in the archives.
 I find the "adverbial" use of te^n arche^n in John 8:25 quite odd. Could
 someone shed some light on the meaning of this construction in this
 context? I have already read the discussion in BAGD. I am looking for
 more help than that.

 te^n arche^n ho ti kai lalo^ humin

e. Summary of Genitive, Dative, and Accusative of Time

One way to remember the distinctions between the cases used for time is to
remember the root idea of each case. However, under the five-case

203

system this may prove a bit confusing. Therefore, for the cases used for
time, it may be helpful to think in terms of the eight-case system. The root
idea of the genitive is kind. Thus the genitive of time expresses the kind of
time or time within which. The root idea of the locative (not dat.) is
position, expressing point in time. The root idea for the accusative is
extent. Thus the accusative of time expresses the extent of time.

One illustration may help. If I were to say, ’ÄúI worked last night’Äù it could
mean (1) during the night, (2) all night, or (3) at a point of time in the
night. But in Greek, the case of night would indicate what I meant. If I had
said nuktov" (gen.), I would mean ’Äúduring the night.’Äù If I had said nuktiv
(dat.) I would mean ’Äúat a point of time in the night (e.g., 1 a.m.).’Äù If I
had said nuktav (acc.) I would mean ’Äúfor the length of the night.’Äù This can
be illustrated graphically as well (see chart 16 below).

Wallace, Daniel B., Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics - Exegetical Syntax of
the New Testament, (Garland, TX: Galaxie Software) 1999, c1996.

gfsomsel