Re: Age and Worship

From: Christopher Hutson (crhutson@salisbury.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 15:02:19 EDT

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset=""><HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: &nbsp;Age and Worship</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
<TT>Kevin Smith asked:<BR>
<BR>
&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; 1. Would anyone care to speculate concerning more or less what age to draw<BR>
&gt; the line between older and younger men/women in Titus 2:2-6? The words I<BR>
&gt; have in mind are PRESBUTAS and PRESUTIDAS for older people, NEAS and<BR>
&gt; NEWTEROUS for younger.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
<BR>
and Prof. Adam responded:<BR>
<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; We had a fascinating thread a few years ago about the distinction of ages<BR>
&gt; in Greek, but I can't recall the date or the ostensible topic. If you<BR>
&gt; search the archives for messages from Christopher Hutson &nbsp;&quot;Re: meirakion,<BR>
&gt; pais, ephebos&quot; you should find some background--it doesn't seem to address<BR>
&gt; your question precisely, but may be of some help.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Grace and peace,<BR>
&gt; A K M Adam<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Since AKM Adam calls me out, let me respond to Kevin's question. &nbsp;In fact, I<BR>
am ashamed of myself for not responding before now.<BR>
<BR>
Here is a catalogue of age classifications for females, given by Aristotle<BR>
of Byzantium (c. 257-180, BC; librarian at Alexandria from c. 194). &nbsp;His<BR>
catalogue of age classifications was copied and recopied by various writers<BR>
for the next several centuries, so I find it useful as a starting place for<BR>
sorting out age terms. &nbsp;Here is my translation of the section on terms<BR>
specific to females, taken from Ar. Byz., _Nomina Aetata_ (fragmenta), p.<BR>
274-75 (Miller):<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;As for the females, there are likewise the<BR>
infant (BREFOS) and the PAIDION;<BR>
&nbsp;and after this PAIDISKARION and PAIDISKION,<BR>
and KORION, and KORASION, and KORISKH,<BR>
and PARQENISKH;<BR>
and after this PAIS, and PARQENOS, and KORH.<BR>
Then again comes the time of marrying (hO TOU GAMEISQAI KAIROS), which would<BR>
be the fifth year after puberty, as Herodotus would deem &nbsp;appropriate, when<BR>
she would also be called bride.<BR>
And after the marriage, woman and mother (GUNH KAI MHTHR); she might already<BR>
also be called a MEIRAC.<BR>
And after this, young woman (GUNH NEA);<BR>
then middle-aged (MESH);<BR>
then again like-wise advanced (PROBEBHKUIA), greying (PROPOLIOS);<BR>
then old woman (GRAUS) and elder (PRESBUTIS), the same thing;<BR>
then extremely old (ESXATOGHRWS).<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
The catalogue of age terms for males is even longer. &nbsp;Of course, the<BR>
vocabulary of youth and old age is always very slippery. &nbsp;These terms are<BR>
relative, and they are usually not used in any defined, technical sense. &nbsp;So<BR>
you must pay close attention to context to see how any given writer is using<BR>
such terms in a specific passage.<BR>
<BR>
In Aristotle's schema, a &quot;young man/woman&quot; (NEOS/ NEA) would be a<BR>
twenty-something who was probably married and, hence, a young adult. &nbsp;An<BR>
&quot;elder&quot; (PRESBUS/ PRESBUTIS) would be someone past middle age but not<BR>
necessarily of advanced age. &nbsp;Of course, what is &quot;middle age,&quot; in a society<BR>
where life expectancy may less than 40 years? &nbsp;Further, such terms as<BR>
&quot;elder&quot; often say more about a person's _gravitas_ than her/his age.<BR>
<BR>
In short, I would say that Titus 2 presents the community in terms of two<BR>
groups, relatively older and relatively younger. &nbsp;I'm not sure we can press<BR>
Titus 2 on precise ages, but if I were forced, I would say that the grey<BR>
area between &quot;younger&quot; and &quot;older&quot; would be a broad range in the thirties.<BR>
<BR>
What's interesting to me is that Titus himself is associated most closely in<BR>
this text with the &quot;younger men.&quot;<BR>
<BR>
If you want to see all the boring details, you'll have to get my<BR>
dissertation from UMI or wait for me to turn it into a book. &nbsp;Until then, a<BR>
good starting place would be Robert Garland, _The Greek Way of Life_<BR>
(Ithaca: &nbsp;Cornell U. Press, 1990). &nbsp;His focus is classical Athens, so you'll<BR>
have to allow for differences in the early Empire.<BR>
<BR>
Here's to youth and good old age!<BR>
<BR>
XPIC<BR>
<BR>
______________________________<BR>
Christopher R. Hutson<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hood Theological Seminary<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;800 West Thomas Street<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Salisbury, NC &nbsp;28144<BR>
<FONT COLOR="#0000FF"><U>crhutson@salisbury.net<BR>
</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>