Re: 1Cor. 7:36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them mar

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 05:17:55 EDT

In this passage (I Cor. 7:37) the word for "keep" can mean "maintain", and
this novel meaning could result:

let a man (a father) continue to take care of his virgin daughter...

Since she marries not, he (the father) can take care of and provide for her
needs. Hence, marriage is not being discussed between the daughter and
father, but possibly between a suitor and a father's daughter. If he stops
the marriage, he (the father) can provide for her, keeping her chaste.

Novel, yes, possible? I think so. Probable? who knows?

Mr. Gary S. Dykes
Swanson's Errata List -- http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/