Re: 1Cor. 7:36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 21:45:30 EST

Dear Harold,
your post made me look at the text more carefully. Here is my thought.

On 04/01/00, "Harold Helm <sundance@neosoft.com>" wrote:
> 1Cor. 7:36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his
> virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do
> what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry. KJV
>
> St Paul seems to say that if an engaged couple lose their virginity
> it is okay for them as long as they go ahead and get marred. per KJV
> per Paul: extramarital okay as long as they go ahead and get married?
>
> ASV alters a GREEK original to avoid this embarrasment to us preachers:
> 1Cor. 7:36 But if any man thinketh that he behaveth himself unseemingly
> toward his virgin daughter, if she be past the flower of her age, and if
> need so requireth, let him do what he will; he sinneth not; let them marry.
>
> Nestle Aland 27 original says: EI DE TIS ASCHMONEIN EPI THN
> PARQENON AUTOU NOMIZEI, EAN H hUPERAKMOS KAI OUTWS OFEILEI
> GINESQAI, hO QELEI POIEITW, OUC AMARTANEI, GAMEITWSAN

The decision whether to take THN PARQENON AUTOU as 'his virgin daughter"
or "his fiancee" affects the interpretation of the whole paragraph
from 7:36 - 38. I lean toward "his virgin daughter" because of

  THREIN THN hEAUTOU PARQENON (to keep his own virgin) in v.37.

"If he decides,.... to keep his own virgin, he is doing good".

If he can keep his own virgin, he can also give her away. It fits well
to the father. Keeping his own virgin means "not giving her away
for marriage". I wonder how "keep his own virgin" would fit to the male
fiancee.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Asociate Professor