hWS ... KAI in 2 Cor 13:2

From: Paul Toseland (paul@toseland.f9.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 09:45:30 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>DEar all

2 Cor 13:2, PROEIRHKA KAI PROLEGW hWS PARWN TO DEUTERON KAI APWN NUN
TOIS PROHMARTHKOSIN KAI TOIS LOIPOIS PASIN ... is usually translated
something like
ìI gave warning, and I give warning, as while present the second time,
so also now when absent,
to those who sinned before, and to all the rest ...î However, I have
seen it argued that this would
require a hOUTWS before KAI in the hWS ... KAI construction, and that
KAI cannot possibly
have the sense hOUTWS KAI here or anywhere else (Hyldahl, Die Paulinsche
Chronologie,
1986, p 104). The only supporting argument offered is that Matt 6:10;
Acts 7;51; Gal 1:9 and
Phil 1:20 do not provide parallels. I think he is right about Gal 1:9;
Phil 1:20; I am not sure about
Matt 6:10 and Acts 7:51.

Hyldahl and others take the phrase to mean, ìas it were ... present the
second time, though in fact
now absentî. This would in fact make good sense, since the notion of
ëepistolary presenceí was
quite common in the ancient world.

Can anyone point me to hWS ... KAI constructions that do without
question have the sense
commonly understood in 2 Cor 13:2?

Thanks.

Paul Toseland