Re: Granville Sharp and 2 Thess 1:12

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 16:45:15 EDT

Carl,

I asked my Greek professor about this verse this
morning and from what I can gather, it seems to be
in-line with the qualifications. The difference is as
to whether or not to think of KURIOU as a part of his
proper name. I do not think that this is the case and
my professor thinks the same. My reasoning is this:

Titus 2:13
EPIFANEIAN THS DOXHS TOU MEGALOU QEOU KAI SWTHROS
hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU
"... of the great God and Savior of us, Jesus Christ"

2 Peter 1:1
DIKAIOSUNH TOU QEOU hHMWN KAI SWTHROS IHSOU CRISTOU
"... of the God of us and Savior, Jesus Christ"

2 Thessalonians 1:12
THN CARIN TOU QEOU hHMWN KAI KURIOU IHSOU CRISTOU
"... of the God of us and Lord, Jesus Christ"

I know that you will disagree that KURIOS is a title,
rather than part of his proper name, but support for
this is found even within this very verse. Read
earlier:

hOPWS ENDOXASQHi TO ONOMA TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU EN
hUMIN
"... the name of the Lord of us, Jesus"

If it is here used as a title, why should it be
thought otherwise in the very next phrase where it
would make sense to be?

I am not attempting to offer up a strong defense for
this view, it just seems that there is good reason for
not taking KURIOS as a proper name. It fits the
construction mold (TSKS) and seems very clearly to be
of this construction type.

Jason Hare

--- "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>