Re: Rom 1:1 KLHTOS APOSTOLOS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 18:04:47 EDT

I've never understood what's wrong with "missionary" for APOSTOLOS--it
seems to me that the word carries pretty much the same function.

As for KLHTOS, I suspect it really needs to be glossed in a translation
anyway, but I've sometimes thought "recipient of the call" expresses the
sense--or perhaps better, "respondent to the call." I don't think "guest"
is wrong as such, but it really needs to be distinguished somehow from
other uses of "guest." What I like about it, however, is its ready
linkability to the Synoptic theme of the "call" or "invitation" to the
table set and served by Jesus. To the extent that sharing the supper of the
Lord is a term for a believer, there's a certain propriety to the usage.

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/