Re: Rom 1:1 KLHTOS APOSTOLOS

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:59:58 EDT

On 04/10/00, "Carlton Winbery <winberyc@speedgate.net>" wrote:

> KLHTOS is an adjective. APOSTOLOS is a noun. Does not the adjective here
> modify the noun even though it does have the article? I gain some insight
> from thinking that Paul is distinguishing his office by saying, "(I am) a
> slave of Christ Jesus, a called apostle who is set apart for the gospel of
> God." The idea of called in the adjective is a passive idea so that anyone
> reading it would clearly understand that Paul is claiming that God called
> him. The stronger statement defending his apostleship in Gal. 1:1 is
> probably not far from his mind. His office is as a "called (by God)
> apostle" and not one from men or through a man but . . .
>

> Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
> Foggleman Professor of Religion

Additional comments by Dykes:

Yes, the above is ceretainly possible, seeing it as an adjective-noun
combination, as others do. But like DOULOJ at Romans 1:1 - refer the
Winbery and Brooks p. 7, it can also be functioning in apposition.

APOSTOLOJ can certainly be an adjective, or a noun, though it is rarely
described in the literature as an adjective, it can certainly function as
one, in that it describes a noun (akin to simple apposition).

Syriac scribes in translating I Cor. 1:1, added a conjunction between "(a)
sent one" and "(a) called-one", thus linking them in their minds. In Romans
1:1, we have 3 nominatives, each functioning in the same manner as
nominatives in opposition. Also a I Cor. 1:1, papyrus 61 MAY omit "called"
along with 02, 06, and 0151, and the Latin d. For KLHTOJ minuscule 1875
actually reads DOULOJ.

Your proposal is certainly better than adding a "to be" as in some English
translations. Am I correct in suggesting that like "DOULOJ" that both
"KLHTOJ" and APOSTOLOJ" can be either a noun or an adjective? I know what
the literature says, along with nearly all known dictionaries, but I want
your personal input.

Thanks,

Mr. Gary S. Dykes
Swanson's Errata List -- http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/
Contributions accepted, download beautiful public domain Greek font!!