Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or"the chosen"

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 12:39:06 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>The ultimate question, of course, is what did KOSMOS mean to its original
authors and hearers. Linguistically, it is unlikely that it anything to do
with any one particular group of people. Anything else is interpretation,
valid at some later point in the process of understanding scripture but
premature for understanding what the original text actually said and meant.

It is my understanding that on this discussion list we try to separate
linguistic understanding of the source text from our interpretations of that
text. I appreciate Kevin's making sure that we understand that he has
referred to his *interpretation* of KOSMOS.

FWIW and IMO, the best *interpretations* of the source text flow from the
best linguistic understandings of that text. If we get the heart before the
course (so to speak!), we get perilously close to those murky waters of
eisogesis.

Wayne

---
Wayne Leman