Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or"the chosen"

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 13:15:29 EST

on 04/01/00 9:39 AM, Wayne Leman wrote:

> The ultimate question, of course, is what did KOSMOS mean to its original
> authors and hearers.

Hi Wayne,

The original question which was asked does not appear to be about the
meaning of KOSMOS but about the referent in John 3:16. We need to keep
meaning and reference sorted out here. I have never ever heard or read
anywhere an argument that KOSMOS has the meaning "Christians" or "God's
people." But that it might refer to "Christians" or "God's people" is a
different issue.

on 04/01/00 6:51 AM, Rachelsj@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone heard of kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people"
> or "the chosen." An aquaintance is trying to say that John 3:16 is a
> ***reference*** not to the world at large but rather to God's chosen people.
> Though some may feel this to be true according to their theology, is there
> any proof for this based on possible definitions of kosmos?

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point