Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or"the chosen"

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 13:48:54 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Clay responded:

>The original question which was asked does not appear to be about the
>meaning of KOSMOS but about the referent in John 3:16.

That's precisely the verse I was thinking of.

> We need to keep
>meaning and reference sorted out here.

Indeed

 I have never ever heard or read
>anywhere an argument that KOSMOS has the meaning "Christians" or "God's
>people." But that it might refer to "Christians" or "God's people" is a
>different issue.

Hmm, personally I think we're skating too close to eisogesis to say that
KOSMOS in John 3:16 might *refer* to anything other than the the usual
meaning of KOSMOS (unless we see evidence to the contrary), i.e. KOSMOS =
world, world system, humanity, etc.

I do understand the linguistic issue here of meaning vs. reference. Maybe I
just want to shout it more loudly than some do! :)

Wayne

---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation site: http://bibletranslation.lookscool.com/