Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or "the chosen"

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 14:37:05 EDT

on 04/11/00 8:24 AM, Bill Ross wrote:

> Are you saying that John assigned new meanings at
> whim within a paragraph?

Bill,

One final thought on this.

I think what Leon Morris has discovered in his long term study of John, is
that there is within John's writings some INTENTIONAL ambiguity in the
repetitive use of certain words. This ambiguity is part of John's discourse
strategy. You may not like ambiguity but it is there and I think that John
intended it to be there. If intentional semantic ambiguity is ignored or its
existence is denied when studying the gospel of John we will miss what John
is doing and saying.

Ambiguity is not always bad.

Clay