EKTOS EI MH

From: Kimmo Huovila (kimmo.huovila@helsinki.fi)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 14:49:55 EDT

1 Cor. 15:2 says DI hOU KAI SWiZESQE, TINI LOGWi EUHGGELISAMHN hUMIN EI
KATECETE, EKTOS EI MH EIKHi EPISTEUSATE.

This is translated by NIV as "By this gospel you are saved, if you hold
firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in
vain."

Is this a possible understanding of EKTOS EI MH? For that translation I
would have supposed a Greek 'EI DE MH' or something like it. I thought
EKTOS EI MH would be rather 'except' or 'unless', the sense being
'through which you are also saved, if you hold on to the word I preached
to you except in the case that you believed in vain (perhaps meaning in
vain in the case that Jesus was not resurrected, as some Corinthians
might have thought).

Now, am I missing something essential here? Could someone explain this
NIV translation to me? NIV is not alone, as some Finnish translations
take it the same way. NASB's 'unless' seems more natural to me.

Thanks,

Kimmo