Re: EKTOS EI MH

From: Kimmo Huovila (kimmo.huovila@helsinki.fi)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 06:43:14 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

> At 9:49 PM +0300 4/13/00, Kimmo Huovila wrote:
> >1 Cor. 15:2 says DI hOU KAI SWiZESQE, TINI LOGWi EUHGGELISAMHN hUMIN EI
> >KATECETE, EKTOS EI MH EIKHi EPISTEUSATE.
> >
> >This is translated by NIV as "By this gospel you are saved, if you hold
> >firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in
> >vain."
> >
> >Is this a possible understanding of EKTOS EI MH? For that translation I
> >would have supposed a Greek 'EI DE MH' or something like it. I thought
> >EKTOS EI MH would be rather 'except' or 'unless', the sense being
> >'through which you are also saved, if you hold on to the word I preached
> >to you except in the case that you believed in vain (perhaps meaning in
> >vain in the case that Jesus was not resurrected, as some Corinthians
> >might have thought).
> >
> >Now, am I missing something essential here? Could someone explain this
> >NIV translation to me? NIV is not alone, as some Finnish translations
> >take it the same way. NASB's 'unless' seems more natural to me.
>
> I suggest you take a look in our archives at a relatively brief thread
> under the subject-header, "Exegesis of 1 Corinthians 15:2" initiated by
> George Goold on December 30,1999. There was one more reply to that on
> January 12, 2000, and then the thread was renewed in March: March 4-6 at
> which time it was halted because, in the judgment of the
> list-administrators, it had become an agenda-driven doctrinal dispute more
> than a consideration of the Greek text's possibilities. Nevertheless, you
> may find it useful to consult those messages in our archives.

I took a look, and if my question was addressed, I must have just missed
it. My question does not deal with the exegesis of 1 Cor. 15:2 per se,
but rather the possibility of translating EKTOS EI MH as otherwise, and
possible reasons why some translators have chosen to translate it so.
The thread seemed to be more concerned with classifying the conditional
and some theological and exegetical issues.

Kimmo