RE: doulos

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:55:25 EDT

I appreciate John Stendahl's note about the harsh modern connotation of the
word slave. It reminded me that Greek slaves often held important positions
in Roman households. They often could purchase their own freedom. Among
other things, Greek slaves were responsible for much education of the young
in Roman households. Apparently one's condition as a slave depended on the
master and could vary within a household. As a practice with worldwide
acceptance, slavery must have had different connotations than at present.

Harold Holmyard