Re: Greek fonts

From: Daidalos Polytechnitis (ernk-ky@logos.cy.net)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 09:03:22 EDT

  /*
  Xairetw

       A N o t e A b o u t G r e e k F o n t s

  Some more information about obtaining Greek fonts for various
  platforms and in various standards.

  What is ELOT
  ------------

  ELOT, http://www.elot.gr, means
    E(LLHNIKO/S ORGANISMO/S TYPOPOI/HSHS -in BetaCode
  or
    Ellinikos Organismos Tupopoiisis -in Romanic transcription
  or
    Greek Organisation Of Standardization -in English.

  ELOT 928 fonts
  --------------

  for Windows 3.1
    http://www.Greece.org/hellas/0.TOOLS/arial.zip
    http://www.hol.gr/mirrors/hec/0.TOOLS/arial.zip

  for Macintosh
    http://www.Greece.org/hellas/0.TOOLS/elot928_mac.sit.hqx
    ftp://ftp.hri.org/pub/greek/fonts/mac/elot928_mac.sit.hqx

  for X11
    http://www.Greece.org/hellas/0.TOOLS/gr.fonts.tar.Z.uu
    http://www.hol.gr/mirrors/hec/0.TOOLS/gr.fonts.tar.Z.uu

  Help for installing the above
    http://www.Greece.org/hellas/0.TOOLS/fontHelp.txt
    http://www.hol.gr/mirrors/hec/0.TOOLS/fontHelp.txt

  ISO **?*
  --------

  For Windows and Macintosh

    http://www.duth.gr/gr/greekfonts.html

  This is at the Dimokriteion University of Thraki, in Ellada (Hellas,
  Greece). But this font follows another standard, ISO **?*, which I
  cannot recall now. This is a standard that places the Greek letters
  at the first half of the font list, where you usually find the Latin
  letters. That means that a text like this would appear with Greek
  letters.

  Actually, just before two days I started reading a font-related
  f.a.q. The contents say it has information on where to obtain fonts,
  and I believe it may have information on where to obtain Greek
  fonts. But for the time, I haven't read it yet.

  This font-faq can be found at

    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/news/answers/

  Try part 1.

  I am now preparing a more generalized file, concerning Greek
  language and Internet.

  Regards

     [--------------------------------]
      [------------------------------]