Re: Ephesians 4:26

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 13:29:02 EDT

<x-flowed>At 05:01 13/04/00, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
>I do not know about a permissive imperative other than that such seems
>to be the usage in the Septuagint of Psalm 4, from which Paul quotes in Eph
>4:26. The psalmist is praying to God for help. Then he seems to launch into
>an apostrophe aimed at the wrongdoers causing his problems. He bemoans
>their slow-heartedness, their love of vanity, and their pursuit of
>falsehood. He will have them know that God has done wonderful things for
>him ("His pious one") and would answer his cry. "Be angry and do not sin;
>as to what you speak in your hearts, upon your beds be pricked (in
>conscience). Selah. Sacrifice a sacrifice of righteousness and hope in the
>Lord" (vv. 4-5).

This is certainly not how the medieval Jewish commentators saw these verses.
Rashi said: " 'Quake' Tremble before the Holy One, blessed be He, and do
not sin.' say [this] in your heart on your bed and be forever
silent' Bring back to your heart [the thought] that the Holy One, blessed
be He, admonished [you] concerning that"

Radak said: " Said David: ' if you lack a sense of awe for me, your KIng,
at least fear Hashem who endorses me and do not rebel ' ".
A modern rabbinic commentary [ Tehillim: ArtScroll ] remarks:
" Homiletically, this verse exhorts Israel to tremble from the spectre of
sin, to the point where sin becomes disturbing and traumatic; R-G-Z thus
mean ' be distressed and upset ' by the prospect of sin "

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie