Re: Book Evaluation Requested

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 03:45:47 EDT

Carlton Winberry wrote in part:

I want to second what Edward has said. Swanson did an amazing amount of
work in a very short time. He did make a few mistakes, but his accuracy is
very good in light of the number of mss he has collated. One place where I
think he did not recognize what the scribes were doing is in Mark 2 and
John 5 where there are several occurances of the word KRABATTON spelled
with two T's. The scribe in several minuscules made the two T's look like
TG (perhaps better protrayed as TY. I did not recall Metzger's
presentation
of this as a double T but knew that in Greek you would never get a TG
coming together. I finally found in minuscule 1346 an interim way of
making
the double T that was unmistakeable. It proves that Metzger is surely
right. Swanson always presents them as TG which cannot possible be what
the
scribes intended. I found one scribe was also taken in by this for he
wrote
the first T at the end of the line and put the G (looks like Y) as the
first letter of the next line! I think that one was min. 1877. I do not
have my notes at home.

By the way there is a picture of Swanson at his web page. His office looks
as cluttered as mine.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
                                  MY REPLY (Dykes)

Alas, I have spent over a decade studying numerous Byzantine (and earlier)
NT manuscripts. And the "-TG" combination is not rare, but this particular
word form is rather unusual, (it is not seen on the TLG_e or the PHI 7
databases). In most of the NT MSS samples they are clearly a "-TG". Swanson
is absolutely correct in showing them. Why some scribes (MS 1424, 1071 et
cetera) wrote KRABATYON as opposed to the usual KRABATTON is probably due
to one of several causes:

(1) The scribe's own dialect (his/her pronunciation) guided him. As these
particular minuscules seem to be of a Provencial nature.

(2) In the Byzantine era, this may have been an actual correct spelling due
to their phonetics.

I personally insisted that Reuben show such details. I can share more
examples off site.

"Swanson's site" is my site, I took the picture of him in his study. If you
have any contributions to make (to any and all) DO CONTRIBUTE

Thank you,

Mr. Gary S. Dykes
Swanson's Errata Site -- http:userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/
A beautiful free PUBLIC DOMAIN Greek font is available here, with
200 kerned pairs, and many TC sigla. True Type font.