Re: aggelos

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 09:01:55 EDT

Dear Charles,
     I would agree with Polycarp that there is value in utlizing the
translation of "angel" for AGGELOS. For instance, it sounds a bit flat to
translate AGGELOS in Rev 5:11 as "messenger:

Rev. 5:11 And I saw, and I heard a voice of many messengers round about the
throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was
ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

The scene is otherworldly, of course, and these beings seem to need a name
in their own right, not just a functional description. The term AGGELOS,
according to BAG, often connotes another category of being, supernatural
being, and this seems helpful. I am not sure that the AGGELWN in Rev 5:11
are functioning as messengers at this time; they may just be praising
Christ.

Rev. 5:11 And I saw, and I heard a voice of many angels round about the
throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was
ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;
saying with a great voice, Worthy is the Lamb that hath been slain to
receive the power, and riches, and wisdom, and might and honor, and glory,
and blessing.

It's true that the popular perception of angels is a bit at variance with
the biblical view. But people who study the Bible put aside such
traditional images as chubby-cheeked, naked infants with wings. The AGGELOS
is often an awesome being in Scripture, and the term "angel" conveys
something of that awesomeness.

                                        Yours,
                                        Harold Holmyard