Re: Mark 15:34

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 12:06:49 EDT

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0" charset=""><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
Michael Ryle wrote:
15:34 reports that Jesus cried out in a loud voice: ELWI ELWI LEMA SABACQANI;&nbsp;
The Jerome Commentary indicates that this is an Aramaic version of Psalm
22:2.&nbsp; For a long time I have have been curious about this passage.&nbsp;
Why does Jesus quote the Hebrew scriptures in Aramaic?&nbsp; On the cross
under the extreme stress of the moment did he spontaneously translate the
psalm as he knew it into his own spoken language?&nbsp; Or was he quoting
from an Aramaic source, a targum?&nbsp; If so, why would he quote from
that instead of the Hebrew which he surely would have known?&nbsp; In the
gospels when Jesus quotes scripture, except for this one case, I believe
it's true that he always does so in Greek -- at least I can't think of
another instance.&nbsp; Why is this case different and what does it mean?&nbsp;

to be Jesus' normal practice to quote Greek Scriptures is due to the fact
that this is simply a convention of the Evangelists, since they have him
teaching in Greek as well (how else to convey to a Greek speaking audience
what Jesus said?), but is not what historically was the case.
the discussion List on the Historical Jesus and Christian origins, and/or
on Kata Markon (http://metalab.unc.edu/GMark)?

</x-html>