Re: Mark 15:34

From: Eszter (ESZTER.ANDORKA@student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 15:50:32 EDT

Hello, Michael!

Be carefull: what is written in Mk is not what has happened to the hist.
Js. The fact that Mk quotes the Mikra in Aramaic and than in Greek has
to do in the first round with his audience than with the events of the
death of Js. One possible explanation of the Semitic quoptes in Mk is that
these are historical reminiscenses, and in this sense it can say something
about the hist Js dying on the cross - but this is only one of the
explanations.

IF it has to do with Js, I still would not suppose a spontaneous
translation. The presence of Targumic traditions in the 1st c. was
underestimated in the NT scholarship for a long time.

But what I would say is that the Markan community used Targumic
traditions, and a part of the community understood Aramaic, and understood
the word-games of Mk on the Aramaic texts.

Maybe I will return onto the problem - my library is closing now.

Eszter