Re: Mark 15:34

From: roseann (roseann@Intellisys.net)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 17:14:08 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
Snipped...

><Bill>
>A couple of thoughts:
>
>* I don't think He was quoting a psalm, but rather posing a question to His
>God;
>* One reason it may have been preserved in the Aramaic is to show how those
>around might have mistook it as being a call to Eli
>
>Bill Ross
>
>PS Does anyone know the nuances of the words LEMA SABACQANI in the
Aramaic?

>Hello Bill,
Curious question. I have the Bible translated from the Peshitta by George
M. Lamsa (Aramaic) and that verse, Mark 15:34, reads: "And at the ninth
hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying Eli, Eli, lemana,
shabakthani! which means, My God, my God, for this I was spared!"
Footnote at "which means" - used by Mark to explain translation from one
Aramaic dialect to another. I've wondered why the difference between "for
this I was spared" and "why have you forsaken me?"
God bless,
Roseann Ekman
Thomas St. Church of Christ
Altus, OK