Re: Acts 2:42

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 23:07:47 EDT

Roger Hutchinson wrote;

>Acts 2:42 reads--
>
>HSAN DE PROSKARTEROUNTES THi DIDAXHi TWN APOSTOLWN KAI THi KOINWNIA, [KAI?]
>THi KLASEI TOU ARTOU KAI TAIS PROSEUXAIS.
>
>1. Could one read this as fellowship with the apostles, breaking of bread
>with the apostles, and prayers with the apostles?
>
>2. How does the article before KOINWNIA, KLASEI TOU ARTOU, and PROSEUXAIS
>influence the translation? Could the article have been excluded without
>affecting the translation?
>
>3. KAI is left out before THi KLASEI TOU ARTOU. Does this make the sentence
>structure awkward?

1. It seems to me that TWN APOSTOLWN refers specifically to THi DIDAXHi. It
would be a stretch to apply it to the others.
2. I think the article does what it does best here, makes each item more
specific. *The* teaching refers to a specific body of doctrine (as in the
Pastorals), *the* fellowship also as well as *the* bread and *the* prayers.
Luke seems to refer by these to specific practices of the early believers.
3. I do not think that the breaking of bread exhaust the practice of
KOINWNIA, but if the article is omitted (some good evidence supports it but
it is easier to explain why diff. scribes would have added it
independently), then it would be possible to see THi KLASEI TOU ARTOU as
being in apposition (modifying) to and explaining a form of KOINWNIA. That
would leave one to wonder why the last item is not also modified, as is the
DIDAXHi, but it would make sense that way.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net