Re: Nine Choirs of Angels

From: Cindy Smith (cms@dragon.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 23:52:32 EDT

Ward,

  Saint Thomas of Aquino describes the Seraphim and Cherubim as being
two of the nine choirs of angels described in the Bible.

                          ORDERS OF THE ANGELS

1. Seraphim 4. Dominations 7. Principalities
2. Cherubim 5. Virtues 8. Archangels
3. Thrones 6. Powers 9. Angels

Principality, Authority, Power, Dominion

Ephesians 1:20, 21: ...which he worked in Christ, raising him from
the dead and seating him at his right hand in the heavens, far above
every principality, authority, power, and dominion, and every name
that is named not only in this age but also in the one to come.

Seraphim
________

Isaiah 6:2, 3: Seraphim were stationed above; each of them had six
wings: with two they veiled their faces, with two they veiled their
feet, and with two they hovered aloft.

Cherubim
________

Ezekiel 10:15,4,20: Such were the living creatures I saw by the river
Chebar....I saw there the glory of the God of Israel, like the vision
I had seen in the plain. The cherubim were stationed to the right of
the temple; these were the living creatures I had seen beneath the God
of Israel by the river Chebar, whom I now recognized to be
cherubim....etc.

Thrones, Dominions, Principalities, Powers

Colossians 1:16: For in him were created all things in heaven and on
earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or
principalities or powers; all things were created through him and for
him.

NOTE: Saint Thomas calls these: Dominations, Virtues, Powers,
Principalities, in the Summa Theologica.

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms@dragon.com >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion
cms@romancatholic.org// /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off
cms@5sc.net from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8