Re: Nine Choirs of Angels

From: Steve (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 07:01:09 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Cindy & Jon,

Here are my notes on Pseudo-Dionysius' description of the bodiless powers of
heaven that you requested. This is from his "Celestial Hierarchy" with
chapter 6 containing the overview, and chapters 7-9 detailing each of the
three groups. He briefly compares this organization in heaven to the
organization of the Church's hierarchy on earth. In his work
"Ecclesiastical Hierarchy" he discusses this connection in more detail. I
understand this is the source for Aquinus' later writing. But I gather from
Cindy's post that Aqunius does not convey the three groups of three aspect.
I also understand that Pseudo-Dionysius was very "popular" in medieval
theology in the west. But I know very little about western Christian
theology, enough to dangerously overstate or overlook many things.

Pseudo-Dionysius finds that there are three hierarchies of heavenly beings
each containing three bodiless powers. His source is scripture.

The first hierarchy is Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones. These surround and
praise God without ceasing. They receive the power and word of God
directly.

The second hierarchy is the Authorities, Dominions and Powers. These
demonstrate ways for human rulers to imitate God. They rule with kindness,
courage, and harmony, without tyranny. They receive purification and the
word of God from the first hierarchy.

The third hierarchy is Principalities, Archangels and Angels. The second
hierarchy ommunes and transmits the word of God to this group, just as the
first does to the second. The Third sets the boundaries of nations,
delivers God's word to us and helps to direct our lives towards God.

You will not the Trinitarian character of this organization. Each hierarchy
is an icon of the trinity. They commune with each other as an icon of the
inner life of the triune God. They reinforce how far removed we are as
creatures of God. We have a long way to go in our path to perfection.
There are three hierarchies that separate us from God and deliver his word
to us.

In the Christian East our life's goal is Theosis or Deification, becoming
one with God in the life of the Trinity. The heavenly hierarchies of angels
are an icon of this life we will share. At the same time they show us how
far we have to go, we are three levels removed from the goal. But at the
same time we are given this opportunity to commune with God where even the
higher order of beings, the bodiless powers of heaven, are not. Being
created in the image and likeness of God we are created for participation in
the inner life of the Trinity if we accept God's word.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
</x-charset>