Re: Machine readable Abbot-Smith?

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 09:37:43 EDT

<x-flowed>At 05:12 PM 4/27/00 -0700, George Goolde wrote:
>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>I notice that there was an edition of Abbot-Smith's lexicon in 1922, and
>>there was a 3rd edition in 1937. Does that mean that at least these
>>editions are no longer under copyright?
>
>My copy identifies the First edition as 1921, the Second Edition as 1923,
>and the Third Edition as 1937. It identifies the "latest reprint" as
>1964. I have a T. &T. Clark printing with no copyright notice.
>
>My understanding of the old copyright law was 27 years, once renewable,
>hence a total of 54 years. This would mean that the copyright of the third
>edition would have expired in 1991.

Great - does anybody know what the differences are between the third
edition and the latest reprint?

>>Does anyone know if there is a machine-readable version of this?
>
>Do you mean a clean copy that could be scanned? Or are you asking if
>someone has already done the scanning and has an electronic copy?

I do not have an OCR scanner. Since this book combines Greek with English,
I don't know if a straight scan would do the trick or not. Does anyone have
experience with this kind of scanning?

Basically, I'm looking for any approach that would get me a legal
machine-readable copy. If I can get such a thing, I'd also like to make it
available over the Internet.

Jonathan