Re: 1 Cor 14:34, KAQWS KAI hO NOMOS LEGEI

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 13:04:36 EDT

At 11:45 AM 4/29/00 -0700, you wrote:

>What should be the application today? Should we wait until
>similar disturbances occur in order to apply the implication
>of the OT law, or should we learn from this and lock the door
>before the horse is stolen? Or, was Paul wrong in his thinking?
>
>Paul Dixon

"where angels fear to tread...." Anyway, since im not as wise as an angel I
will tread where they wont.

Paul has "spirtualized" the OT law (as he frequently does). He merely
follows the footsteps of Philo here and makes the law a universalized set of
prescriptions. We could take the same passage in hand and make it say any
number of things to any audience we wished (as most preachers do on a weekly
basis and no one ever notices that the text has been disgorged of its life
blood...)

Is this right or wrong as a hermeneutical method? Yes and no. Yes it is
wrong from the historical perspective because Paul and his heirs rip texts
from contexts and make them mean what they did not mean. But it is right
because without this procedure the Bible is a time bound incoherent
irrelevent set of scribbled lines.

Was Paul right about his view of women? Again yes and no. Yes, in that any
disruption in the Church is rude and inconsiderate (including those bloody
screaming babies and loud talking elderly folk who seem to roar at the most
inopportune times). But he is also wrong- because it wasnt just the women
folk who were disruptive. It was the tongue speakers and the spiritual
superiority-ists (???) who likewise disrupted the service.

I think the principle Paul only halfway enunciated was-- be polite in
Church. He picked on the women cuz they were no doubt the easiest target.
he should have picked on the others too. But of course, even handedness is
difficult even for the great Apostle to the Gentiles.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net