1 Cor 14:34, KAQWS KAI hO NOMOS LEGEI

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 14:45:26 EDT

In 1 Cor 14:34 Paul says:

hAI GUNAIKES EN TAIS EKKLNSIAIS SIGATWSIN OU GAR
EPITREPETAI AUTAIS LALEIN, ALLA hUPOTASSESQWSAN
KAQWS KAI hO NOMOS LEGEI.

If the OT reference here is Gen 3:16 (so most), then Paul
seems to be saying that a direct implication of the husband's
rule over the wife is that she is forbidden to even speak in the
churches.

Regardless of the situation at hand, it seems Paul is drawing
this conclusion from the OT law. The application to the Corinthian
church, of course, is that the disruptions caused by certain
women praying, prophesying or tongue-speaking must stop.

What should be the application today? Should we wait until
similar disturbances occur in order to apply the implication
of the OT law, or should we learn from this and lock the door
before the horse is stolen? Or, was Paul wrong in his thinking?

Paul Dixon