teaching top down

From: Suedaleg@aol.com
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 02:13:04 EDT

I have been folowing this line with some interest. My intention in
strengthening my grasp of Greek in the last few years has been an attempt at
deepening my relationship with my God by trying to understand better those
who wrote for him.
I have tried to learn Hebrew also with only modest success. (I can recognise
the words but some of the forms really get beyond me.) So I have been trying
to become more fluent. From this line I have realized that my desire is to
begin thinking with the author in his language. I am learning to get away
from some of the stiff translation which the "morphology" study results in
and to take the larger sections as whole units. Is it possible for a person
trained in the "bottom up" approach to learn to reverse the direction? I hope
so. I see the need to do the word and form study as well, but I want to be
able to move beyond.

I will probably take two approaces to the NT, in the way that I speak two
different forms of English, one for story telling, somewhat informal,
perhaps coloquial (sp?) where the form realy does not matter near as much as
the action or process; and a more formal, precise form used for teaching
ideas in which I stick very close to "correct" grammatical structure because
it has sreious meaning.

I can see the need for two approaches to the Greek, one for naration where
the purpose is to show the action, and one for the "thesis" where the meaning
of the teaching is what is important.

Thanks for encouraging my thoughts here.

Dale Greenlee