Re: teaching top down

From: Eddie Van Gent (vangent@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 05:12:27 EDT

Greetings

I have also been studying Greek also using a different method....memorizing
the text after analyzing each word and sentence, after praying for Divine
assistance. Once I have memorized several passages, I then go back into
various books such as Mounce BBG, DB Wallace, Grovenor, etc to further
examine the grammar of what I have memorized. To get the pronunciation, I
refered to classical experts such as Daitz & Allen, who seem to have a
reasonable knowledge of what the language sounded like even in the koine
times. Then I have a Greek friend who could verify that I was thinking in
Greek...the root meanings of many common words don't seem to have changed
that dramatically over 3000 years.

Regards