RE: teaching top down

From: Trevor & Julie Peterson (spedrson@thesimpsons.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 06:13:26 EDT

In answer to your question, it is possible. But for me, it has been a slow,
halting process. I learned Greek in probably the worst way possible--brief,
rote, bottom-up, limited, and without much emphasis on the importance of
knowing the language well before you start making frequent use of certain
tools. Some day I hope to broaden my understanding of Greek beyond the NT.
(I'm working now on improving my ability in the LXX, but I know that's only
just a beginning toward what Carl described yesterday.) In the meantime, I
am finding that Mounce's format helps to remedy a lot of the "brief" and
"rote" elements in my training, and now that I've had an opportunity to
teach NT Greek Grammar for one year using his system, I already feel like
I've moved miles ahead in my knowledge of the basics. I've given away or
sold my interlinear, my analytical lexicon, and any other crutches I could
find lying around the house. But what's taking the longest time is picking
up on how DA changes the way I work with the language. I cut my teeth on it
a year or two ago in Hebrew, mainly by following the discussions on B-Hebrew
and by getting a copy of Bryan's book. I've tried to apply it as much as
possible since then, but still more in Hebrew than in Greek. And I still
find, because of the way I was trained, that when it comes to getting things
done quickly I still revert to what is most familiar. (Of course, I should
mention that in my situation, I didn't even pick up anything about formal DA
from my later training in exegesis. I tried to apply it somewhat in my
Th.M. thesis--probably pathetically so--and my advisor hardly even had a
clue what I was doing. So I've had to deal with incorporating it into my
whole system of thinking about language. That's a bit different from
dealing with the question of how to go back and fix things when a person has
learned basic Greek one way and learned DA later on. But I suspect some of
the same issues are probably at work.)

Okay, that was longer than I planned and probably wasn't terribly helpful to
anyone. But for what it's worth . . .

Trevor Peterson