Re: Rev. 14:10

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 14:30:44 EDT

Mark,

The rest of b-greek seems to be down with a virus so I will address a few
words to your question.

on 05/04/00 4:05 PM, Mark Armstrong wrote:

> Rev. 14:10 contains an interesting genitive chain as stated
> hereunder:
>
> EK TOU OIVOV TOU QUMOU TOU QEOU TOU KEKERASMENON AKRATOU

I cannot find the reading TOU OIVOV in any mss. so I suspect you mean
TOU OIVOU.

> I am proposing that TOU QUMOU TOU QEOU be translated collectively as a
> genitive of apposition as it clarifies the content of the metaphor, i.e.
> the wine is the wine of God's fury (maybe epexegetical in force). Within
> this construction is a noun that carries a verbal idea so TOU QEOU is
> either a subjective or objective genitive. It seems that "God's anger at
> us" is what is unambiguously intended, so I translated it as a subjective
> genitive.

In the expression: EK TOU OIVOU TOU QUMOU TOU QEOU,

TOU QUMOU limits TOU OIVOU and
TOU QEOU limits TOU QUMOU.

I would read this like a Hebrew construct chain since John is seems to be
thinking Hebrew even though he is writing Greek. As for TOU QUMOU TOU QEOU,
you may translate it "collectively" (not sure what that means) but I would
not process it that way if I were diagramming the clause. It makes perfectly
good sense translated as a genitive chain.

> Further, TOU KEKERASMENON AKRATOU could stand attributively with OIVOV,
> qualifying the absolute strength of the wine of God's fury and thus drawing
> the readers attention to the intensity of God's anger.

I would say that TOU KEKERASMENON AKRATOU limits TOU OIVOU, this is
determined by semantic analysis not by syntax analysis. Man does not live by
syntax alone.

This is a minimalist response to your question. For a detailed treatment see
Aune (Revelation, vol. 2, WBC).

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point