Re: Rom 12 19

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 21:33:31 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2000 5:15:51 PM Central Standard Time,
hholmyard@ont.com writes:

<<
 I can understand how you reach your translation, but we seem to be dealing
 with an idiom.

But not one involving the necessity of supplying QEOU to complete the
thought. In fact, I would say that it is not God's wrath that is envisioned
but rather that of those who would do ill to Paul's readers (most immediately
the Roman Christians). Without having analyzed too thoroughly the structure
of the passage, it appears that we have here a parallelismus membrorum

MH hEAUTOUS EKDIKOUNTES, AGAPHTOI,
ALLA DOTE ORGHi

GEGRAPTAI GAR: EMOI EKDIKHSIS,
EGW ANTAPODWSW, LEGEI KURIOS.