Rom 12 19

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 19:16:15 EDT

Dear Polycarp,
     You suggest the following contrast regarding Rom 12:19:

>I am disinclined to supply words clearly not in the text nor part of a
>known idiom or citation. I would suggest that DOS TOPON might be
>understood in the sense of "to yield" or "to not resist." I would think
>that DIDWMI + TOPOS would be the contrary of LAMBANW + TOPOS. If this is
>so then Acts 1.24, 25
might provide some insight.

>KAI PROSEUCAMENOI EIPAN: SU KURIE KARDIOGNWSTA PANTWN, ANADEICON hON
>ECELECW EK TOUTWN TWN DUO hENA

>LABEIN TON TOPON THS DIAKONIAS TAUTHS KAI APOSTOLHS AF' hS IOUDAS PREQHNAI
>EIS TON TOPON TON IDION.

>When they prayed they said, "You Lord who know the hearts of all, indicate
>whom you have chosen of these two to receive the office of this service
>and apostleship from which Judas apostasized to his own place.

>The idea would be "don't resist evil."

The difference between LABEIN TON TOPON in Acts 1:25 and DOS TOPON in Rom
12:19 seems to be the definite article. In Acts 25:16 the phrase TOPON TE
APOLOGIAS LABOI means "and he receives an opportunity of defence." We see a
phrase like that in Rom 12:19 in Eph 4:27: MHDE DIDOTE TOPON TWi DIABOLWi.
It reads: "And do not give an opportunity to the devil." BAG has other
references, including Wisd 12:10 and Sir 19:17.

I can understand how you reach your translation, but we seem to be dealing
with an idiom.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard