Use of DE in 2 Thess.

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 11:49:43 EDT

I was originally going to send this just to Clayton, but I wondered if
others might have thoughts on this topic and, given the interest in
Discourse Analysis, I thought people might enjoy any discussion.

Clayton and others,

If I may bother you for a few moments, I would like your thoughts on
the following ideas. The APOSTASIA discussion got me thinking about
the structure of 2 Thess. and I noticed the incidence of DE appears
to mark significant semantic transitions. I am wondering, given your
reading of Discourse Analysis, whether my thoughts below hold water.
Might you, or any others, have an opinion?

First, note DE is used only three times in the first two chapters and
is not used till 2:1. If one assumes DE is a transition marker, then
one might expect it to be used in 1:3; but a transition into the body
of the letter is expected there as in any letter, so DE is not needed.
Chapter three begins with TO LOIPON, which is in itself a very strong
transition marker. Also, 3:17 and 18 would not need DE for much the
same reason as 1:3 doesn't.

Regarding chapter two, here's my thought: Chapter 2:1-2 form a
short and concise introduction to two topics, namely, the PAROUSIA
and the EPISUNAGWGH. Then 2:3-12 discuss the PAROUSIA and 2:13-15 the
EPISUNAGWGH. Paul makes a transition into chapter two with DE and then
transitions into the second of the two subjects (verse 13) also with DE.
I don't believe I've read this interpretation of 13-15 anywhere so
I guess I'm sticking my neck out; but it does appear to me as a fair
treatment of the structure of chapter two. Read it for yourself and see
if in this light you don't sense Paul describing how Jesus gathers
a people to himself.

In 2:16 Paul "closes the lid", so to speak, to his discussion of the two
topics using a benediction of sorts. Of course, this is not a novel
example for Paul.

3:1-2 asks for prayer.

3:3,4,5 form a list (DE is used on a low semantic level):
   3 -- Lord is faithful.
   4 -- We are confident.
   5 -- Paul expresses a wish for their guidance.

3:6-11 discusses the topic of idle people.

3:12,13 form another list, somewhat related to 6-11. (Here again, DE is
used on a relatively low semantic level.)

3:14-15 give a final, poignant remark.

3:16-18 give concluding remarks.

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, what are your thoughts? And thank you all
so much.

--------

Here is the list of verses for your convenience (3:8 has an OUDE which
I don't think should be thought of in the same way as DE. Likewise, 2:2
has a MHDE.):

2 Thess. 2:1
    ERWTWMEN DE hUMAS, ADELFOI, hUPER THS PAROUSIAS TOU KURIOU hHMWN
    IHSOU CRISTOU KAI hHMWN EPISUNAGWGHS EP' AUTON,

2 Thess. 2:13
    hHMEIS DE OFEILOMEN EUCARISTEIN TWi QEWi PANTOTE PERI hUMWN,
    ADELFOI HGAPHMENOI hUPO KURIOU, hOTI hEILATO hUMAS hO QEOS APARCHN
    EIS SWTHRIAN EN hAGIASMWi PNEUMATOS KAI PISTEI ALHQEIAS,

2 Thess. 2:16
    AUTOS DE hO KURIOS hHMWN IHSOUS CRISTOS KAI [hO] QEOS hO PATHR
    hHMWN, hO AGAPHSAS hHMAS KAI DOUS PARAKLHSIN AIWNIAN KAI ELPIDA
    AGAQHN EN CARITI,

2 Thess. 3:3
    PISTOS DE ESTIN hO KURIOS, hOS STHRIXEI hUMAS KAI FULAXEI APO
    TOU PONHROU.

2 Thess. 3:4
    PEPOIQAMEN DE EN KURIWi EF' hUMAS, hOTI hA PARAGGELLOMEN [KAI]
    POIEITE KAI POIHSETE.

2 Thess. 3:5
    hO DE KURIOS KATEUQUNAI hUMWN TAS KARDIAS EIS THN AGAPHN TOU QEOU
    KAI EIS THN hUPOMONHN TOU CRISTOU.

2 Thess. 3:6
    PARAGGELLOMEN DE hUMIN, ADELFOI, EN ONOMATI TOU KURIOU [hHMWN]
    IHSOU CRISTOU, STELLESQAI hUMAS APO PANTOS ADELFOU ATAKTWS
    PERIPATOUNTOS KAI MH KATA THN PARADOSIN hHN PARELABOSAN PAR' hHMWN.

2 Thess. 3:12
    TOIS DE TOIOUTOIS PARAGGELLOMEN KAI PARAKALOUMEN EN KURIWi IHSOU
    CRISTWi hINA META hHSUCIAS ERGAZOMENOI TON hEAUTWN ARTON ESQIWSIN.

2 Thess. 3:13
    hUMEIS DE, ADELFOI, MH EGKAKHSHTE KALOPOIOUNTES.

2 Thess. 3:14
    EI DE TIS OUC hUPAKOUEI TWi LOGWi hHMWN DIA THS EPISTOLHS, TOUTON
    SHMEIOUSQE, MH SUNANAMIGNUSQAI AUTWi, hINA ENTRAPHi:

2 Thess. 3:16
    AUTOS DE hO KURIOS THS EIRHNHS DWiH hUMIN THN EIRHNHN DIA PANTOS
    EN PANTI TROPWi. hO KURIOS META PANTWN hUMWN.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us