Re: thinking Greek

From: Kimmo Huovila (kimmo.huovila@helsinki.fi)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 09:25:17 EDT

I guess a good grasp of modern Greek would help, but I wonder if modern
and KOINH Greek are not better seen as two related languages than as two
dialects of the same language. A native Greek speaker once told me that
he can understand about 70% of the NT in the original (I showed him the
letter of Eusebius at the beginning of NA and he was completely at loss
with that text. The NT is stylistically much simpler). That means that
there is a significant problem in communication between these two
languages (and this has nothing to do with phonology). I have studied
both Classical and KOINH Greek (and even the very first basics of modern
Greek), but I still have great problems understanding (even written)
dimotiki. Syntax and morphology have changed (in my estimate) to such a
degree that a restudy would be needed, if one is fluent in KOINH or
modern Greek and wants to learn the other. This is not to say that the
study of the other may help in understanding the other.

Kimmo